New State Standards: Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards
Common Core State Standards
In August 2010, the California State Board of Education adopted the Common Core State Standards. The Standards are currently available as PDFs below, and Beverly Hills Unified School District teachers and staff are in the process of alignment curriculum and assessments.
When the State Board adopted the Common Core Standards in August of 2010, our district began work on developing an implementation plan. Our 3-year process has included the following plan:
- BHUSD begins an analysis of new standards: 2011-12
- BHUSD begins aligning curriculum and assessments: 2012-13
- BHUSD finalizes assessment alignment: 2013-14
- BHUSD pilots Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) computer based testing at K-8s and high school: 2012-13 and 2013-14 (no scores in 2014)
- BHUSD implements curriculum and assessments that are aligned to the Common Core State Standards: 2014-15
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) launch – new standardized testing system for the State of California: 2014-15 (scores in 2015)
K-5 teachers have led the process of aligning trimester assessments, which include updates to the standards-based report card. Mathematics alignment occurred over the course of last year and will be refined with updated Envision Math textbooks, aligned to the Common Core Standards.
Middle and high school mathematics and English teachers have completed alignment, including a review and revision of course descriptions and pacing guides, including the adoption of new textbooks and curricular materials.
In July, 2013, the Board of Education approved a funding plan for Common Core implementation, which includes funding to support curricular materials, professional development, and technology.
NEW: NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS: The State Board of Education adopted the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) in 2013, and the BHUSD has begun work on developing a plan for alignment to the NGSS. For additional information about the NGSS, please see the following links:
Please continue to check this page for updates related to the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards.