Enrollment for Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
Welcome to the BHUSD’s Transitional Kindergarten webpage. This resource is the place for news and information about the Beverly Hills Unified School District’s effort to establish education reimagined for our youngest learners.
Enrollment for the 2021-2022 School Year Starts on February 22, 2021.
What is Transitional Kindergarten?
It is designed to build a solid foundation for success in school for “young” five year olds.
The TK program is offered on a first-come first-served basis and has limited space and availability.
Is your child eligible to enroll?
If your child turns 5 during this time period: August 1 through December 31 then, “YES,” your child is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten. Please refer to our TK Board Policy 6170.1
TK School Sites for 2021-2022 School Year:
Hawthorne Elementary School
Horace Mann Elementary School
How to enroll your child in TK:
- Enrollment will begin February 22, 2020 for the 2021-2022 school year. You can enroll through the BHUSD’s NEW STUDENT ONLINE REGISTRATION PORTAL
- Be sure to follow the enrollment instructions, gather all the required and applicable documents, attach them to your online pre-enrollment application, or email them to email@example.com Subject Line: Last/First/Grade/School Site or drop them off in the RED MAILBOX located outside our main building 255 S. Lasky Drive (residency verification documents, health examination by private physician, dental form, required immunization records, additional registration forms).
- For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
TK Questions and Answers:
What is the difference between Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten?
The Transitional Kindergarten classroom will provide developmentally appropriate thematic-based curriculum. The curriculum is a hybrid between the California Preschool Learning Foundations and the California Common Core Standards for Kindergarten. Students in the TK program will be provided a program that will bridge their early childhood experiences to those of the public school system.
Is my child required to go to a TK class if his/her birthday falls within the cut-off date August 1 through December 31?
No, it is not required. It is a voluntary program available to families but is not part of the Compulsory Education Requirements in California Education Code. The TK program is offered on a first-come first-served basis and has limited space and availability.
Can my child enter Kindergarten if they are eligible for the TK class?
Students born between 8/01/16 and 9/01/16 may apply to attend either TK or KG.
TK enrollment is offered on a first-come first-served basis.
Are students in TK also subject to kindergarten immunization requirements?
Yes. They are required to have documentation of immunizations or a valid medical exemption prior to admission to TK.
- Polio (OPV or IPV): 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis: 5 doses of DTaP, DTP, or DT
(4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR or MMR-V): 2 doses (both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Hepatitis B (Hep B or HBV): 3 doses
- Varicella (Chickenpox, VAR, MMR-V, or VZV): 2 doses