A Brief History of Our School Facilities
The original Beverly Hills High School
was built in 1927 by the Los Angeles High School District. The design was considered state of the art for the time. In 1936-1937, the main school building went through earthquake renovation due to the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. The Swim-Gym was built in 1939-1940. It was designed by Stiles O. Clement. This design was quite progressive and is still considered to be an architectural icon. The High School facility and the Swim-Gym have been featured in many movies, such as the classic “It’s a Wonderful Life”. Due to rising enrollments, major additions occurred from 1967-1970 (North Wing to the Main Building, 5 story building with classrooms and two level parking garage). These additions were designed by Rowland H. Crawford. In 2005 the new state of the art Science and Technology Center designed by LPA, architects was begun. This building was completed in 2007.
Beverly Vista Elementary School
was built in 1924 and designed by Francis J. Catton. From 1925-1928, a series of five buildings, including the original Auditorium, were completed. These buildings were designed by Gable & Wyant. The structures were renovated after the 1933 earthquake. The Auditorium was rebuilt at this time. In the 1960’s, due to overcrowding, extensive alterations and additions were approved. New Library, Classroom, Physical Education and Kindergarten buildings were designed by Albert C. Martin & Associates and completed in 1968. In 1994, the school was damaged by the Northridge earthquake. In 1995, three buildings were vacated. The first building was reconstructed in 2002 and designed by Osborne Architects. The next phase of reconstruction, Building B, was designed by Dougherty & Dougherty and was completed in 2007. This building included the auditorium and several classrooms.
El Rodeo de Las Aguas Elementary School
was built in 1927 and designed by Austin, Ashley & Hudson. During the earthquake renovations in 1934, W.A. Hudson was again the architect of record. With rising enrollment, a two story addition was completed in 1963, which included a Gymnasium, a new Shop and Music rooms. These were designed by William Shinderman. In the latter 1960’s, there were a series of additions designed by Maurice H. Fleishman which included a three story structure and additional classrooms.
Hawthorne Elementary School
, according to records, is the oldest of the current school structures. The original building had been standing for eight years when the Auditorium, designed by T. Beverley Reim, Jr. was completed in 1921. Several structures were added between 1922 and 1928. In 1929, the old Main building was demolished to make way for a new one, designed by Ralph C. Flewelling. After the 1933 earthquake, Flewelling also designed new Kindergarten, Cafeteria and Manual Training Buildings. In 1948, Allison & Rible designed a North Wing and a new Kindergarten Building. These additions were delayed to 1953 due to the Korean War’s restrictions of building materials. John Kewell designed the 140-141 building, which was completed in 1961. During the late 1960’ to early 1970’s, Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mendenhall designed a new Library Wing, modernization of a portion of the Main building, an enlargement of the North Playground and a two story Primary Learning Center. The old Kindergarten building was demolished to make way for the Primary Learning Center
Horace Mann Elementary School
was built in 1929. It was originally designed by Price, Taylor & Taylor. During earthquake renovation, a Primary Kindergarten building was added in 1934. Taylor & Taylor were the architects for this project. They also designed the Auditorium built in 1937. The school was substantially enlarged during the late 1960’s to early 1970’s. The three story tower was designed by Balch, Hutchason & Perkins and completed in 1968. It was considered a classic architectural style at that time. In 1973, a Classroom facility adding 10 classrooms was designed by Sidney Eisenshtat. In 1976, a 25,500 square foot Playground was added and designed by Thomas Sabol.
The District Office
was built in 1955 and designed by Pereira & Luckman. The Instructional Center was designed by Maurice H. Fleishman and completed in 1963. Aside from minor alterations, the buildings remain structurally unchanged.